Sunday, July 18, 2010

36:44



















Ascutney is in the books.

When I did the mountain for the first time two months ago in 55 minutes I never imagined that I would be reporting to you today that I did it in 36 minutes and forty four seconds. But I'm here, and it happened. And I'm damn proud of myself. I'm not only proud but I am profoundly more motivated to do even better.

The experience started Friday night after a dinner of Sweet Potatoes and Garlic Bread.

Delicious.

BANG.

Time for an epic thunderstorm and time to lose power.

Wonderful.

It was 95 degrees outside and HUMID which meant it would be next to impossible for me to fall asleep. I laid in a pool of my own sweat until the power came back on at 2 AM and I could crank up the air conditioner.

EEET EEET EEEET EEEET. 3 hours later. 5 AM. Wake up, sleepy head, it's time to rock.

Lauren and I picked up Joe, Sarah, and Little C man and headed out, but not before Dunkin Donuts, right?

Wrong.

No power.

Shit.

We found one in the next town.

Relief.

Two hours later we were in the field at Ascutney and I was on the trainer.

I warmed up briefly on the road and on the mountain before I lined up in the first wave. I was extremely calm and not at all nervous at the start that surprised me a bit. I'm so Zen.

The start featured a 90 degree corner on a steep pitch that tested nerves just a little bit but once I rounded the corner and settled into a groove I felt about as good as one could expect when they can feel their heart beating in their eyeball.

185 Beats per minute. Pinned.

Don't stop pedaling, Nate, you pansy.

I was frustrated on the way up because I knew I was putting out more power than the people I stayed with because I kept passing them on the flat sections of the climb.

Demoralizing. Damn 22 LB trek.

I maintained this hell until the finish and sprinted when I saw the crowd ringing the cowbell. I guess I went as hard as anyone at the finish. I think I have a talent for that.

36 minutes and 44 seconds after the gun I could rest.

And eat watermelon.

And drink chocolate milk.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment